Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Serves: 6-8. Makes about 30 fritters
750 grams zucchini, trimmed and grated
2 bunches spring onions, including green stems, finely chopped
200grams feta cheese, crumbed
500 grams kefalotiri, parmesan or similar hard cheese
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
250 grams plain flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for frying
Keftedes can be made with almost anything, such as; minced lamb, chicken, chickpeas eggplant and leeks.
1. Mix the zucchini, spring onions, cheeses, eggs and herbs together in a large bowl.
2. Add the flour to the mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir well.
3. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Heat abut 1 cm of olive oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan.
5. Shape the mixture into round, flat fritters, adding a little more flour if the mixture is too wet.
6. Cook several fritters at a time for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
7. Transfer to paper towels to drain, keep warm and cook remaining mixture.
8. Top with a squeeze of lemon