Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
6 red onions, thinly sliced
250 mls lager
½ firmly packed cup of brown sugar
80 mls balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 chipolata sausages
12 small bread rolls, or 2 long bread sticks
Mustard & rocket leaves to serv
1. Place onion in a deep fry pan with the lager, sugar, balsamic, oil and ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook until thick and rich, stir occasionally to prevent onion catching on the base of the pan. (Caramelised onions will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a 1 month).
3. Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue or char grill pan to medium-high. Cook the sausages, turning, for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Warm the bread rolls, or bread sticks on the rack on the barbecue or in a low over, when ready to fill split through the middle, without slicing all the way through.
5. Fill the rolls with mustard, sausage, caramelised onion and rocket. If using bread stick cut into 30 cm pieces.